Situated between the Louvre museum and the Champs-Elysées avenue, the Place de la Concorde is the largest square in Paris. It is . The square surrounding the statue of king Louis XV was created later, in 1772, by the architect Jacques-Ange Gabriel. Originally Place Louis XV, it was changed by revolutionaries to Place de la Revolution. Later governments thought it wise to rename the area in the hope of lessening its darker history.
In the 19th century the obelisk from the temple of Ramses II was installed at the center of the Place de la Concorde. It is a 75 ft tall monolith in pink granite and weighs approximately 230 tons and is covered with hieroglyphs picturing the reign of pharaohs
At each corner of the Concode square is a statue representing a French city: Bordeaux, Brest, Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Nantes, Rouen and Strasbourg.